Jo Chan is the 30-year-old Chinese Filipino executive chef at Eberly in Austin. After graduation from San Diego State University and San Diego Culinary Institute, she pursued her culinary aspirations in New York City working at Nobu Fifty Seven. A desire to learn about local ingredients and cook bottom up cooking landed her at the door of Chef Jonathan Waxman’s famed Barbuto restaurant in the West Village.
Three years under Waxman helped hone Jo’s cooking technique and brought her to the kitchen of fellow Barbuto alum Justin Smillie at his collaboration with restauranteur Stephen Starr, Upland. Under Smillie’s watchful eye, Jo learned how to create food filled with passion, dedication, and bold, delicious flavors. Most recently, Jo collaborated with Chef Marcus Samuelsson, who is a James Beard Best Chef winner, to bring local flavors and seasonal cooking to his American inspired restaurants, Kitchen & Table, located throughout Scandinavia. She is proud to bring her unique experiences and style of cooking to the kitchen at Eberly restaurant in Austin.
Roasted Baby Beets & Ancient Grain Pesto Salad
For the roasted baby beets
6-8 pc baby beets, trimmed and cleaned
2 cups distilled vinegar
1 cup white wine vinegar
3 cups water
3 Tbsp salt
For the grain pesto salad
1 cup red quinoa/bulgur wheat, uncooked (approx. 2 cups cooked)
¼ cup cucumber, small dice
¼ cup red onion, small dice
2 Tbsp mint, chopped fine
3 Tbsp parsley, chopped fine
¼ cup cashews, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
1. Cook grains according to instructions on package. Chill in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Combine distilled & white wine vinegar with water and salt and bring to boil in a stock pot. Add beets and cook until tender throughout. Drain.
4. Heat an oven safe pan on high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add beets. Toss until beets are coated with oil and salt heavily.
5. Roast in oven until beet skins are caramelized and crisp.
6. In a medium bowl, combine mint, parsley, cashews, garlic, white wine vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside 2 Tbsp to garnish beets.
7. Combine pesto mixture with chilled grains, cucumber, and red onion.
8. Top grain salad with roasted beets and garnish with remaining pesto!