Celebrity Chef Tom Colicchio Teaches Us How to Pan Roast Meat, Using Lamb As An Example
Chef Tom Colicchio shows us how to get a perfect medium to medium-rare lamb simply by using the stove top, controlling heat, and listening to what is happening the pan. The trick, lowering the heat and being patient.
Steps to Perfectly Sear Lamb:
- Turn your pan to medium heat and add your oil or fat of your choice. Wait for the oil to shimmer and it will be at the correct temperature. If the oil starts to smoke, your pan is too hot and you’ll burn your oil and your meat.
- Take your meat out of the fridge around 20 minutes before you start cooking to allow it to warm up to room temperature.
- Dry your meat with paper towels to remove water and moisture from the outside of the meat. Moisture is the enemy of a sear.
- Season your meat on both sides with a good amount of salt.
- Control your heat (use a lower temperature than you are most likely used to).
- Check periodically for a good sear on one side and then flip it to the rare side.
- Flip the meat and baste it with the accumulated fat in the pan. At this step, you can add some herbs like rosemary for taste.
- Once the meat is finished cooking to the desired temperature, remove it from the pan.
- Let the meat rest 4-5 minutes before cutting it or serving it to let the juices come back to the center of the piece of meat.
- Serve with mushrooms if desired
Product highlighted in the video: Stainless Steel Sauté Pan