What you’ll need...
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
½ fennel bulb, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 package Beyond Meat hot Italian sausage, broken into pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1-2 tablespoons white miso paste
A dash (or several) of Worcestershire sauce (optional but preferred!)
1+ cup red wine
- Sweat vegetables in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a Made In Stock Pot until translucent but not browned, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir to combine, and cook very briefly until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add “meat” and combine with aromatics, breaking up the sausage until it becomes a mince. (Watch closely: if the vegetables begin to color, add a small amount of water to the pan to prevent burning)
- Cook until sausage is browned, then add the tomato and miso pastes. Stir to coat and caramelize the tomato paste slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine and scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, if desired.
- Simmer until wine reduces slightly, then add enough stock so the “meat” is only just submerged. Cook 30-45 minutes; as sauce thickens, add more stock to loosen slightly.
- Finish with remaining butter and adjust flavors to taste (more miso, Worcestershire, salt, pepper!). Enjoy!