Check out the following list of pros and cons of ceramic cookware to what cookware set is best for your kitchen.
Deciding which cookware set is the best choice for you, your cooking level and the appliances in your home kitchen can be confusing, especially when you see how many options are available. You've probably seen ceramic cookware sets on the market that make a lot of claims.
We’re tackling the confusion and giving you an in-depth rundown on all of your options. First up: ceramic.
Check out the following list of pros and cons of ceramic cookware will help you determine whether or not ceramic is the best choice for your kitchen.
Ceramic Cookware Pros
- Non Stick Coating - Ceramic pots and pans are not entirely made of ceramic, but instead feature a ceramic coating bonded to the rest of the cookware's construction. This coating provides a non stick cooking surface and eliminates the need to use unhealthy cooking sprays, butter or oil to prevent foods from sticking.
- Non-Toxic - The most asked question regarding the surface is if ceramic cookware is safe. The popularity of ceramic cookware actually first accelerated when the potential toxicity of PFOA-ridden Teflon (used on some non stick surfaces a long time ago) made headlines. Safe under high heat and even when damaged, the ceramic coating applied on ceramic pots and pans provide a simple, non-toxic solution. This, however, is an overblown marketing stunt as toxic chemicals have been removed from all surfaces for quite some time.
- Easy to Clean - Like other non stick pots and pans, the non stick surface of ceramic cookware is easy to clean and usually only requires a bit of mild dishwashing soap, warm water and the wipe of a paper towel or cloth.
Ceramic Cookware Cons
- Less Efficient Heat Distribution - Ceramic pots and pans get their non stick surface from a nano-particle-sized ceramic coating on the surface of the pan. The irregularity of these particles increases the ceramic coated pan's microscopic surface area, making it rough and, thus, leaving areas where the surface does not touch the food and where the food cannot stick. The trouble with an uneven cooking surface – even at a microscopic level – is that in addition to food not sticking, the food also does not receive heat where it does not touch the cooking surface. As a result, ceramic cookware heats food slowly and in an unevenly.
- Durability - The lifespan of ceramic cookware is quite short when compared to other types of cookware available, such as stainless steel and cast iron skillets. The very same nano-particles responsible for these pots and pans inefficient heat distribution are also behind ceramic cookware's disappointing durability. The rough surface increases friction on the pan, leading to quicker and easier wear and tear on the ceramic coated surface.
- Cannot Use Metal Utensils - The delicate nature of a non stick ceramic surface makes it unwise to use metal cooking utensils with these pots and pans. The sharp metal will quickly scratch and chip away these products' ceramic coating.
- Low-Quality Construction - Although high-quality ceramic coated cookware is available at a premium price, most ceramic cookware products are low quality, featuring flimsy metal construction and usually no heat conducting bonded metal ply.
- Not Really Dishwasher Safe - Many ceramic cookware companies advertise that products are dishwasher safe. In truth, it is safe to wash ceramic pots and pans in the dishwasher, as they will not leach any toxins. Exposing ceramic cookware to harsh dishwashing cycles and detergents, however, will damage the cookware's delicate non stick cooking surfaces.
- Not High-Heat Safe - Although ceramic pots and pans will not leach toxic chemicals when exposed to high heat, high temperatures will quickly damage this type of cookware's sensitive coating. As a result, ceramic cookware limits chefs to cooking over low to medium heat only.
Alternatives to Ceramic Cookware
Made In's line of non stick cookware is made without PFOA and features lifelong durability. Our special Made Slick surface is truly dishwasher safe and triple-cured to stand up to high temperatures (up to 500 F) and a lifetime of use in order to consistently deliver truly non stick cooking again and again. Plus, our non stick pans effectively distribute heat, cooking food evenly with an efficient 5-ply construction and a high-quality manufacturing process.
With Made In's complete line of high quality cookware, your home cooking skills will have the potential to transform into serious gourmet chef artistry. Whether you cook for only you or feed an army of friends and family out of your kitchen, the right cookware will help you create beautiful meals and take your cooking to the next level.